Revived Pilgrimage Route Opens between Chester & Lichfield
The inaugural ‘Forward to the Ancient Future’ pilgrimage along the Two Saints Way will be arriving in Stone on Thursday March 29th. In the evening there will be a chance to meet the pilgrims and find out more about the Two Saints Way and the new Community of St Chad as well as seeing the 12th century Stone Priory Seal. The meeting will be at St Michael & St Wulfad’s at 7:30. You are also welcome to join the pilgrimage itself and you can find out how from the information below.
During the Middle Ages pilgrims walked between the shrines of St Werburgh at Chester and the shrine of St Chad at Lichfield. Now 21st century pilgrims are walking again along the pilgrimage route which has been recreated as the Two Saints Way. The route has been devised by keen long distance walker David Pott and partners in the project include both the cathedrals, Stoke Minster, British Waterways, Staffordshire University and the local tourist boards. The route has now been approved and an inaugural pilgrimage called “Forward to the Ancient Future” will take place between March 25th and April 1st.
- A feature of the journey will be the revival of various practices that took place in medieval times including the following:
- Preaching will take place at the Saxon preaching cross at Stoke Minster at 9am on March 29th.
- At 9am on March 30th the pilgrims will bring stones to St Michael & St Wulfad’s Church where in the seventh century a pile of stones was erected over the martyr princes Wulfad and Rufin.
- At 11:30am on April 1st pilgrims will be carrying olive wood hand crosses made in Bethlehem along Cross in Hand Lane into Lichfield.
- In Lichfield Cathedral at 12:30pm on the same day, the pilgrims will have their feet washed in the unique pedilavium.
The pilgrimage will end on at St Chad’s Well in Lichfield where at 2:30pm on April 1st the Bishop of Lichfield will open the first interpretation panel. This will mark the beginning of the signage and interpretation of the route which will continue during the course of the year.
The interpretation panel will feature a QR (Quick Response) code which will give access to a range of interactive opportunities for smartphone users. The QR code system will be employed on all future panels and it is thought that this will be the first pilgrimage route to be accessible in this way.
There will be a core team of 12 walkers, but others are expected to join the journey for days and half days. This pilgrimage will also act as part of the birthing process of the new Community of St Chad which will launch in Lichfield Cathedral on March 3rd.
For more information see the accompanying leaflet with walk schedule and also visit twosaintsway.org.uk More about the pilgrimage can also be found there.
Contact: David Pott
email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07932 790525
Forward To The Ancient Future A5 (Click to view/Download Leaflet)
The Forward to the Ancient Future Pilgrimage is arranged by the Two Saints Way Project in partnership with The Community of St Chad and Acorn Christian Healing Foundation